Available Wi-Fi networks
There are a number of Wi-Fi networks available on campus and in other University buildings.
- Staff and students should connect to the 'eduroam' network
- Visitors should connect to the 'WiFi Guest' network
Connecting to Wi-Fi as a student or member of staff
Staff and students can use the eduroam Wi-Fi network on campus and in other University buildings.
eduroam is a free, global Wi-Fi service for students and University staff. You can also use it at many other universities around the world. If you are visiting from another university which uses eduroam, you can connect to the service here using your own university login details.
To connect to eduroam, you need:
- your university email address, like email@example.com
- your university password
Your University of Bath email is made up of your username, like 'abc12', followed by '@bath.ac.uk'. You can find your username on your library card.
If you are a member of staff, you must use your 'firstname.lastname@example.org' email address, not your 'email@example.com' one.
Preparing to connect to our Wi-Fi before you arrive
If you want to set up your device to use our Wi-Fi ahead of time, you can use the configuration tool. You will need to be connected to the internet already to use it.
After you use the configuration tool, your device should connect to eduroam automatically when you arrive in accommodation.
Connect to eduroam from any device whilst on campus
- If your device has internet connection (such as a 4G mobile phone) you can use the eduroam configuration tool connect.bath.ac.uk. Choose the 'eduroam' option
- If your device does not have an internet connection, you can connect to the Setup Assistant wireless network, which will guide you through the setup
After you use the configuration tool, your device should connect to eduroam automatically when at the University or an affiliated organisation.
Connecting to Wi-Fi as a visitor
If you are visiting the campus or other University buildings you can use the 'WiFi Guest' network.
This network is for visitors and guests who cannot use eduroam. Bandwidth is limited to 3Mbps per user to help ensure a fair service for all visitors. If you are visiting from another university that uses eduroam, see 'Connecting to Wi-Fi as a student or member of staff' on this page for a faster connection.
You will need to register to use 'WiFi Guest'. You do not need a University email address to connect.
Connect to WiFi Guest
- Open the Wi-Fi settings on your device
- Select 'WiFi Guest' from the list
- Once you are connected, open your web browser and refresh the page. Your browser may open automatically
- Select your authentication method to continue
Connecting to Wi-Fi if you can't use eduroam
Some devices can't connect to eduroam. If you are a student or member of staff, you may need to use the legacy network if you are trying to connect a:
- Smart TV, Apple TV or other TV box
- Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii or older games console
- Older Kindle or other eReader
- PlayStation Vita, Nintendo 3DS or older handheld console
Your device will need a web browser for you to connect to the legacy network. If your device does not have a web browser you will need to manually register your device to access legacy wireless network.
Connect to legacy
- Open the Wi-Fi settings on your device.
- Select 'legacy' from the list.
- Open the web browser on your device and enter your University username and password.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Restart your device.