How to complete the form
The applicant statement
You should complete this section personally. Your statement should include:
- a brief outline of your circumstances
- the timing and duration of your circumstances
- how your circumstances affected your studies
- how your circumstances affected your exam performance, and which examinations (in the past or future) you consider to be affected
- if you received alternative exam arrangements that were not sufficient to meet your needs, then you need to explain why or how this was the case
Exam board consideration
It is helpful for us to know if your mitigating circumstances have been taken into account by exam boards. In some cases, we may not be able to show you as much flexibility if you have already had your circumstances taken into account.
The supporting statement
You should ask a member of staff at your school or college, such as your academic referee, to complete this section. Their statement should include:
- a brief explanation of your circumstances
- how, when and to what extent your studies and exam performance have been affected
- whether a particular subject or qualification has been particularly affected
- how your affected exam performance compares to the standard that would be expected from you otherwise
- details of any long-term school absences or inability to complete home learning that may have occurred as a consequence
- if your school or college are unaware of the details of your circumstances then a relevant third party such as a doctor or support worker may provide a supporting statement
You can attach additional documentation to support your application. These can include a letter from a GP or hospital (typically the most recent), a police report or a written statement from a parent or guardian. Any additional documentation provided should be signed and on headed paper, if applicable.
You do not have to include any additional documentation in your application.
If you have been impacted by the illness of someone close to you or you have been bereaved, the supporting statement from a member of staff who is aware of your circumstances at your school or college is sufficient.
Submitting your form
Please submit your completed form and any supporting evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
You should submit your form by 31 July 2021.
If you submit your form after this date, or after your final exam results have been released, we may not take your circumstances into account.
Please note if you are a current University of Bath student experiencing Individual Mitigating Circumstances then you will need to complete an IMC report form and forward it to the Academic Registry.